Thursday, May 15, 2003

Well, the guy who was going to sue Oreo over the content of Trans Fats has dropped his lawsuit. Part of the response from his web site:

"And to those of you who thought I was infringing your freedom, remember, when the facts are suppressed you have no freedom. You had a right to know about trans fats, and now you do. What you do with the information is entirely your concern. If you knowingly want to continue to eat trans fats, enjoy!"

Woo hoo, looks like we got through to him. See the email I sent to him yesterday below:

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Younce
To: sljoseph@earthlink.net
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 12:39 PM
Subject: bantransfats.com Inc


Mr. Joseph:

Your "Oreo" lawsuit has generated quite a bit of media interest today, as I am sure you are aware. I realize you are likely to receive a deluge of emails today, both for and agains your suit.

I have some simple questions. I would understand if you don't have the time or inclination to answer them. My instinct tells me they will be ignored. However, if you truly believe in the rightness of what you are doing, I think it might be worthwhile for you to add it to a FAQ of some sort on your web site. Here are my questions:

Why attempt to resolve the "trans fat" problem in this manner? Would it not be more effective to use the funds donated to bantransfats.com to educate people as to the dangers of trans fat, as opposed to attempting to restrict the rights of other Americans? Or, if you really believe that the only answer to the problem is through the force of law, why not lobby your elected representatives to create legislation addressing the issue? I am quite frankly appalled that you feel the need to police my eating habits through litigation.

Regards,

Robert A. Younce


No comments: