Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Resistance and Agitation in the Birthplace of Freedom

Philly has a problem.

Like the leaders in most major metropolitain areas, the leaders of Philadelphia have decided that it should be against the law to smoke in a resturaunt. Motivated by millitant anti-smokers, backed up by doctors who have been politically radicalized, and leftists whose sole motivation is to concentrate government power, these bans have gone off in way too many places around the country.

Now, by way of disclosure, let me tell you that I used to be a smoker. I didn't start smoking until I was in my 20s, and I've quit and restarted a couple of times. I'm not smoking now, and have no intention of starting again. Any time someone cordially asked me to put out a cigarette, I did so with a smile. Anytime someone was nasty to me about it, I blew smoke in their face. Sometimes, being polite is really all you need to do to get your way.

But here's the thing: smoking is an individual choice. If I don't want to be around smoke, I don't go around smoke. If I don't want to eat in a resturaunt that has smoke, I don't go to that resturaunt. It is as simple as that. In this regard, I vote with my feet.

But this isn't good enough for some. No, they "look forward to the day when we can just say 'it's all smokefree, why bother?'"

I'll tell you why bother. Because this is America. This is a country that was founded on the freedom of individuals to do as they please. This is a country that prides itself on the liberty of its citizens to make sometimes stupid and irrational decisions.

The good news is that, just like those boys down the road in Boston who decided to make a big stink over some tea a while back, there are those in Philly who have the fortitude to stick it to the man, say "screw you, hippie, I'm letting people smoke in my four walls if I want to, you Nazi leftist pig!"

May their spirit, and the spirit of Edgar Friendly, wash over us all.

No comments: