Monday, March 05, 2007

What's wrong with this country is what's right with this country

So, the other night, I was writing a blog post on some nutbag professor who seems to be guilty of treason. My wife, who conveniently sits at the computer next to mine, was doing something else. Just as I finished my post, she turned to me and said, "Well, they finally buried Anna Nicole Smith."

I stared blankly in the pretentious way I'm known to do and I said, without thinking "You know, you are what is wrong with this country. We're in the middle of a war, and our college professors are giving training manuals to our enemies. But somehow, it still matters to you where some dead celebrity is buried!"

Just this morning, she started speaking to me again.

I've had a lot of time to think about things while I was getting the silent treatment, and I think I've figured something out. Maybe, just maybe, it's not all that bad to be concerned with Anna Nicole, or with Paris, or Britney, or TomKat or whatever the flavor of the day is. Even in a time of war. These kinds of distractions are, in some way, a nice little fanciful escape from the cold hard reality that surrounds us. It may well be that we need these kinds of stories to keep us sane at times.

Add something else into the mix. America is the one place in the world where you don't, for the most part, have to worry about the Government running your life. Sure, there are incursions that we strive to beat back every day. But we still enjoy a relative amount of liberty in the United States. Our obsession with Anna Nicole, while a sign of our decadence to the parts of the world that hate us, is in some ways a representation of our freedoms. We have a right in the United States to escape from the serious issues every now and again, or even to not give a flying crap about the serious issues.

However, I have to agree with Drew: it's not news. It's fark.

2 comments:

Angie Pangie said...

Harumph!

Oh, and btw, I may be what's wrong with this country today, but it's spelled
P-R-E-T-E-N-T-I-O-U-S.

As I said, Harumph!

Bob said...

Damn you and your spell-checking abilities, do-gooder!

Seriously, I don't know if it came through in the post, but part of what I'm getting at is this:

Liberals are concerned, ultimately, with concetrating government power, and are therefore often much more motivated in terms of political involvement. Conservatives (whether libertarian or republican) are concerned, ultimately, with government being smaller and leaving them alone - which means they are often less motivated in terms of political involvement.

What I'm saying is, that's not necessarily a bad thing. In my own little pretentioueusness way, I was trying to apologize, and to make up for my comment. I hope that came across.

Love you, honey!