Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A parting shot.

Cindy Sheehan is going home.

I've always given my support to freedom of speech, even when I disagreed with it. I have always supported Cindy Sheehan's right to get out there and display her beliefs. As long as free speech doesn't mean violence or subversion, I'm quite glad to hear that there are a variety of voices out there. Even when others say things I don't like, I see it as an opportunity to express my own views.

Now, on her way out of public life, Cindy Sheehan has exercised her freedom of speech once again to say something quite interesting:

""Goodbye America ... you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I cant make you be that country unless you want it."

You see, I've said before that antiwar folks very often just hate America. When I say something like that, everyone else gets up in arms and says "you can't question my patriotism just because we disagree!" Historically, I've backed down, because I really am not comfortable challenging someones motives. I can challenge their beliefs or actions, but motives are internal, and between them and their God.

But when someone like Cindy Sheehan puts it all out there, you've got to wonder: how many people on the left really do hate America, and feel like it has to be made into a better country through things like protest? Cindy Sheehan will do a lot more towards making America better now that she's going home, trying to mend her family ties and, one hopes, become a hard-working productive citizen.

No comments: