Thursday, May 24, 2007

UNITED we stand.

I knew then, on September 15 of 2001, when I first saw the goofy liberals printing "United We Stand" bumper stickers that the waves of emotion would eventually die down and they would return to their American-hating ways. I knew they'd wind up accusing Bush of warmongering, even though war in Iraq was over a year and a half away. I kept silent, because I believed that I should have given them the benefit of the doubt.

Boy, was I wrong:



You see, the fact of the matter is that good politicians say things that are politically expedient. I know that should seem obvious, but sometimes I forget. You know, like when our country was attacked by militant Islamic fundamentalists. Does anyone out there on the left remember that?

I believed then (naively, it would seem) that just because people like John Edwards didn't agree with me on most political issues didn't mean they didn't love their country, or that they wouldn't prefer their own country to their country's enemies. But to declare how united we are in the midst of the crisis, it would seem, was just another bumper sticker for John Edwards.

O'Reily knew it then. This is one of those times I wish he'd been wrong.

No comments: