Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Three weeks in hiding

I decided that it was time to take some time away from the political commentary scene for a bit. I was getting way too frustrated with way too many things. And, since Rosie decided to leave the View, I felt like my work was, at least for a little while, done ;)

Anyways, I've got to admit that I'm finally getting a bit excited about 2008. While my Michigan heritage wants me to support Romney for the GOP, and while my emotional knee-jerk reaction is to support Rudy for his post-9/11 spirit, I can't help but be frustrated with these guys. Romney's record is more center than it is right, and that's just frustrating. Rudy is out there somewhere near the loony left on the social issues. And McCain, well, he just seems to be out there somewhere all around. Certainly I can't vote for the guy who came up with Campaign Finance Reform. Like many conservatives in the GOP, I'm frustrated. On top of that, I'm not sure any of these guys can really beat Hillary.

But I bet this guy can. Who else in the Republican field has the audacity to blow smoke in the face of Michael Moore, other than Fred Thompson? Even Bush, for all the suggestions by his enemies that he's just a cowboy, had a relatively tame reaction to Moore's Farenheit 9/11. But this just took balls. Big ones. The kind that we need our president to have in order to stand up to radical Islam, for example. While I like Newt, and would be happy to see him as president, I think Fred Thompson may be the last, best hope for both conservatism and for the GOP.

No comments: