Saturday, January 19, 2008

This is it

Well, It's 3:45 PM here in Eastern Standard time. The South Carolina polls close in just a few hours. The last available polls show Fred tracking a little higher than he has in a long time, but still more than 10 points behind both Huck and John. I'm still hoping for a political miracle here; this is indeed Fred's last chance. If he can place a strong second, I think he can still take much of the rest of the South, and still carry on to St. Paul on labor day. Still, it's a long shot, and I recognize that.

Maybe Mitt won't be so bad. Maybe he'll come through; maybe he really will be fiscally sound, not increase taxes, appoint constitutionalists to the bench. Still, I've got a bad feeling about this. It's too much like how I felt during the 2000 primary season. Bush scared me then in terms of things like spending, and he's proven to be a big spender beyond even the dems wildest dreams.

If McCain manages to take South Carolina, he's almost guaranteed to get the nod. I'll probably vote USTP/Constitution Party in November. It doesn't seem likely that he will, however.

Huckabee... well, even if he were elected president, I am betting that he winds up as the Jimmy Carter of the Republican Party.

Go, Fred, Go! You're our last, best hope.

No comments: